You are here
What is Light Pollution?
• Glare – Insults the eye, constricts the pupil so you cannot see into shadows.
• Light trespass – When light crosses property lines. The spillover of light where it is unwanted and unneeded. A neighbor’s unwelcome light can reduce the value of one’s property.
• Sky glow – Light that is allowed to stray sideways or upwards and reflect off clouds and dust particles. It blocks our view of the stars and planets.
• Energy waste – The US spends over $3 billion per year in energy costs from wasted light. The power plants that produce the energy produce greenhouse gasses adding to global warming.
• Light Clutter – Using several light colors in one area of view.
Sources of Light Pollution:
• 30% to 50% of all light pollution is produced by roadway lighting that shines wasted light upwards and outwards.